Welcome

GRADS is like a classroom without walls. We help our students make connections in their community, find reliable information online and show them how to be lifelong learners throughout their parenting journey. There are also other methods of teaching our students without the traditional textbook. Follow my classroom blog as we stretch the boundaries of teaching and learning.

November 22, 2011

Trading Traditions

Last night my son started asking questions about what we were doing this Thanksgiving. Texting (of course), "We are hosting this year on Thursday." He asked, "Aren't we going to Aunt Becky's?" I replied, "No, she didn't plan a family dinner this year probably because of grandpa's hip surgery. Why, do you need to see her?". Tommy said,  "It's just been that way for years."  I said, "people grow up, grow old..." .

I remember Thanksgiving at Aunt Becky's house four years ago. We all wanted to be together to support Uncle George on his first holiday without his wife of 50 years. We actually brought Gramsy from the nursing home to spend the day with all of us. The only person who didn't make it was my sister, Cathy. She wanted to go spend time with our mother in Marion. I remember before we left, I bent down to hug Gramsy goodbye and she cradled my face between her soft, wrinkled hands and said, "I am so proud of you.". I smiled, and told her I was proud of her too. The following week my sister, Cathy, was killed in a car accident....19 days later Gramsy passed away.
There are many things that cause family traditions to change. Children going to college, families moving, divorce, births, marriage, illness and death. Families with teens begin to see changes as employment and new relationships present challenges in keeping traditions the same.
Here are some questions you can answer as you write about Traditions in your blog.
1. What are some traditional foods and events that your family practices (in the past or present)?
2. What is your favorite tradition and how would you feel if it discontinued?
3. Which tradition will you continue to use with your children?
4. Which tradition is no longer practiced and why?
5. What are some traditions of your friends and neighbors that you have observed?

No comments:

Post a Comment